15-credit Technical Certificate

Designed for new students and current paraprofessionals, advance the skills necessary to support students with disabilities in public and private K-12 school settings. The focus of this certificate is on emotional and behavioral differences and diverse approaches to learning. Develop skills to work as part of school and Individualized Education Plan (IEP) teams and learn to provide meaningful, student-centered adaptations/accommodations and provide responsible inclusion.

The certificate will be of interest to new students who want to learn more about working as instructional assistants in K-12 districts or current paraprofessionals who need to expand their current knowledge base to include supporting and working with students with disabilities.

Required Courses

First Semester
 Course NumCourse NameCredits
 522-103 EDU: Intro to Educ Practices3  
 522-107 EDU: Overview of Special Ed3  
Total Semester Credits
Second Semester
 Course NumCourse NameCredits
 522-101 EDU:Teamwork in School Setting3  
 522-111 EDU: Guiding & Mnging Behavior3  
 522-124 EDU: Support Students w Disab3  
Total Semester Credits
+ (Proficiency Exam Available)
* (Prerequisites or substitutes may apply to this class.)

View available courses for this term

View course descriptions of all required courses

Credit Transfer Opportunities

WCTC has agreements with local high schools and various four-year colleges and universities that enable students to transition more seamlessly from high school to WCTC to four-year colleges. Transcripted credit agreements provide high school students the opportunity to take WCTC courses at their high schools. Agreements with four-year colleges enable WCTC graduates in selected programs to transfer credits, often at junior-level standing. Agreements currently in place for this program are listed below.

There are no credit transfer agreements for this program at this time. For more information, contact your academic advisor.

UW-System Credit Transfer

If you are interested in attending a UW-campus, you should contact a transfer representative at the campus you plan to attend. You may also check credit transfer agreements between WCTC and the UW System to tell you which specific courses and general education classes may be accepted.

Important Cautionary Note:
This information is intended as a general description. Please verify the availability and details of the program that interests you with the transfer coordinator at the receiving institution.