Certified Medication Assistant Program
The Medication Assistant course is a 108-hour state approved Wisconsin Technical College System training program and is 3 college credits. The Medication Assistant course is competency-based and prepares Certified Nursing Assistants in the administration of medications to residents in a skilled care facility. Certified Nursing Assistants currently employed in a skilled nursing facility must be recommended by their facility and meet specific proof of work requirements to participate in the course. Nursing Assistants employed in an assisted-living facility or other similar settings are not eligible for this course.
This course consists of 68 hours of lecture, practice labs, and 40 hours of clinical. The first 11 weeks of the course are lecture and lab. Included in this part of the course are weekly quizzes, assignments, math practice, memorization of medications, and related content. After successfully completing the lecture and lab portion of the course, the 40 clinical hours takes place in the student’s facility with an RN from the facility acting as a preceptor.
Upon successful completion of the course, WCTC notifies the Department of Health and Family Services to upgrade the individual’s status on the State of Wisconsin Nurse Aide Directory.
510-309 Medication Assistant NA
This competency-based program is for certified nursing assistants who will, upon completion, be involved with administration/distribution of medications to residents in a skilled care nursing facility. Employer approval, proof of work experience and a pre-enrollment assessment are required for participation in this course. For more information, call 262.691.5425.
Applications must be submitted and approved prior to being allowed to register. Print the following documents to begin the course registration process:
Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis until the class is full. Please encourage interested employees to submit their paperwork early to:
- Deb Latzke
Waukesha County Technical College
800 Main Street, room H-101
Pewaukee, WI 53072
The Student Must:
- Currently be employed in a long term care agency with current Federal eligibility.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a High School Diploma or HSED
- Be on the State of Wisconsin Nurse Aide Directory, with current Federal eligibility.
- Have at least 2,000 hours of experience in direct patient care within the last 3 years
- Have worked a minimum of 40 hours, within the last 90 days or by the time the course clinical experience begins, caring for the same residents the student will be working with during the medication aide clinical experience
- Be recommended in writing by the Director of Nursing and Administrator of the agency in which the student will be working during the clinical experience
- Be recommended in writing by two (2) Licensed Charge Nurses, one of who must be a Registered Nurse.
The Employer is Required to:
- Verify hours of employment.
- Provide signatures from administrator and director of nursing.
- Provide recommendations from two unit nurses.
- Verify blood pressure and pulse taking skills.
- Provide a registered nurse preceptor for the clinical experience.
- Confirm that the facility does not have Nurse Aide Training and Competency Evaluation Program (NATCEP) prohibition.
- If facility plans to pay for the course tuition and textbook, the facility needs to send a notation on official letterhead, including the facility name and billing address.