Associate of Applied Science Degree
The goal of a graphic designer is to create effective communication that is visually appealing, informative and on message, based on client needs. The Graphic Design program is geared for those interested in blending their creative and artistic talents with the ability to design materials used in the business, industry and non-profit arenas. Incorporate the creative processes, layout, illustration and photography for a variety of print, web and social media marketing campaigns. Mobilize creativity and sharpen artistic abilities through individual and collaborative efforts. Dedicated, full-semester courses in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator prepare students to enter the workforce on a professional level.
- Prepare for jobs such as graphic designer, designer, production artist or web designer.
- Courses are taught by instructors with industry experience.
- Program-to-program transfer opportunities are available at Carroll University, Milwaukee School of Art and Design (MIAD) and Mount Mary College. Select program credits may transfer to other institutions.
- Those who earn their associate degree in Graphic Design at WCTC are encouraged to complete the Bachelor of Science degree in Graphic Communication at Carroll University. If enrolled in the Graphic Design or Design Management emphasis at Carroll, students may then transition into the Master of Science degree program in Graphic Communication (without further prerequisites in most cases) once their bachelor’s degree is obtained.
- Courses are taught in the world-class Harry V. Quadracci Printing and Graphics Center.
- The Technical Association of the Graphics Arts (TAGA) club provides those in the graphic arts and printing fields with publishing opportunities through a periodic student journal.
- Internship experiences provide technical, hands-on learning in real-world settings.
- In addition to the general admissions process, prospective students will need to complete a Creative Review, which includes an essay and portfolio presentation.
- All Graphic Design students are required to purchase a Mac laptop for use in the program. Shop Now at the WCTC Apple Store for Education and start saving.
- All graduating students are required to participate in the Graphics Portfolio Review.
- Wages of recent graduates per Graduate Follow-up Report
- Salary Range: $21,000-$48,000
- Average Salary: $36,340
- Median Salary: $36,528
- Average Entry-level Salary: $41,966
- Average Hourly Wage: $17.00
- Three-year Averager Salary: $37,140
* (Prerequisites or substitutes may apply to this class.)
View course descriptions of all required courses
View course descriptions of all required courses
Credit Transfer Opportunities
WCTC has agreements with local high schools and various four-year colleges and universities that enable students to transition more seamlessly from high school to WCTC to four-year colleges. Transcripted credit agreements provide high school students the opportunity to take WCTC courses at their high schools. Agreements with four-year colleges enable WCTC graduates in selected programs to transfer credits, often at junior-level standing. Agreements currently in place for this program are listed below.
High School Transfer Opportunities
WCTC Credits Awarded
Four Year College Transfer Opportunities
|Bellevue University||Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Science||up to 69|
|Cardinal Stritch||Bachelor of Arts in Digital Media||up to 72|
|Carroll University||Bachelor of Science in Graphic Communication-Design||Junior Standing|
|Colorado State University-Global Campus||Bachelor Degree||up to 64|
|Concordia University||Baccalaureate Degree||up to 80|
|Franklin University||Bachelor of Science (various)||Junior Standing|
|Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design||Bachelor of Fine Arts, Communications Design||60|
|Mount Mary University||Graphic Design Major||60|
|Mount Mary University||Bachelor Degree||Junior Standing|
|Ottawa University||Bachelor of Arts or Sciences||up to 80|
|Silver Lake College||Bachelor of Science (various)||minimum of 60|
|U of Phoenix||Bachelor of Science (various)||varies|
|Upper Iowa University||Bachelor of Science||up to 78|
|UW-Green Bay||Bachelor of Applied Studies Online||Junior Status|
|UW-Platteville||Bachelor of Science in Communication Technologies, Imaging Media Emphasis||junior status|
|UW-Stout||Bachelor of Science in Management||up to 47|
|UW-Stout||B.F.A. in Art, Graphic Design concentration||up to 47|
|UW-Stout||B. S. Career, Technical Education & Training||up to 60|
|UW-Waukesha||Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS)||60-Junior Standing|
|Wisconsin Lutheran College||Bachelor of Science in Business Management & Leadership||69|
UW-System Credit Transfer
If you are interested in attending a UW-campus, you should contact a transfer representative at the campus you plan to attend. You may also check credit transfer agreements between WCTC and the UW System to tell you which specific courses and general education classes may be accepted.
Important Cautionary Note:
This information is intended as a general description. Please verify the availability and details of the program that interests you with the transfer coordinator at the receiving institution.
Meet your Instructor
- BA, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MA, Marquette University
- BFA--Graphic Communications, Texas State University
- BFA, Northern Illinois University