Diesel Equipment Technology
60-Credit Associate of Applied Science Degree (Pending State Approval)
The commercial truck driving industry has experienced significant growth, and as such, so has the need for trained technicians to work on heavy-duty equipment and vehicles.
In the Diesel Equipment Technology program, gain an overview of essential diesel servicing and repair techniques for the various equipment that uses diesel technology. Receive training in diesel engines, suspension and steering, electronics, drive train, hydraulics, brakes and preventive maintenance, heavy equipment welding, heavy equipment fuel systems, as well as HVAC and refrigeration systems. Additionally, learn workplace safety standards and develop customer service skills.
Diesel equipment technicians can work in a number of industries, including trucking, local government, agricultural equipment dealers and more.
- Prepare for jobs such as diesel equipment mechanic, heavy equipment technician, service department assistant and service technician.
- WCTC's School of Applied Technologies also offers a 5-credit Truck Driving – CDL B Straight Truck certificate, which can serve as a complement to the Diesel Equipment Technology program. (Employers find additional value in employees who can test drive the vehicles they repair.)
Program Code 10-421-1
A sampling of courses within the Manufacturing Engineering Technology program includes:
- Fundamental Diesel Electrical/Electronic Systems
- Hydraulic Fundamentals
- Diesel Engine Repair
- Truck Trailer Diagnostics and Repair
- Heavy Equipment Fuel Systems
- Basic Mobile HVAC