Multicultural Resource Center
The MRC advocates the belief that – with the support of MRC staff and programs – each individual is unique, and we recognize those individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs or other ideologies. The MRC promotes the exploration of these differences in a safe, positive and nurturing environment.
The center seeks to prepare all students to work actively toward equality by providing the knowledge, dispositions and skills for acceptance and inclusion among diverse groups of people.
Throughout the year, the center coordinates and sponsors a wide variety of programs and events such as guest speakers, films, lectures, artistic performances, conferences, courses and workshops. These enhance leadership skills, enrich the academic experience, celebrate cultural traditions, and explore social and cultural issues. We also serve as an advocate for students and provide support for students, staff and faculty.
Stop by for a visit and meet our friendly staff and learn more about our services, programs and events. Our center provides a safe and ideal place to study, relax between classes or visit with friends. Everyone is welcome and treated with respect. We are located in the College Center (behind the main entrance).
MRC Support Services
MRC staff work with students in a variety of areas including:
- Book check out
- College policies, procedures, and regulations
- Study skills, and time management
- Leadership development
- Multicultural Student Mentor Program (MSMP)
- Personal and social support
- Meeting space for individuals and smalls groups
- Diversity magazines and newspaper
- Educational diversity DVD’s
- Study area
- Computer Lab
- Obtaining tutorial assistance
- Interpersonal relationships with peers and family, conflict resolution, and other personal matters
- Careers, internships, and job opportunities
- Assistance with questions on financial aid, academic advising, scholarships, and money management; educational programming, including study groups and seminars
Multicultural Student Mentor Program (MSMP)
The Multicultural Student Mentor Program is designed to assist multicultural students through the WCTS's diversity initiative. The diversity services focus on addressing the specific needs of students that identify as members of historically under-represented and/or under-served populations as defined by federal, state, and local law to adjust academically and socially to the WCTC environment. This program promotes and facilitates student's interactions and provides opportunities for students (mentors and mentees) to connect and form strong academic relationships, share knowledge, and work together to be successful in college. Student mentors provide assigned students (mentees) with personalized and sensitive support for academic, personal, and social development while enhancing their leadership, team building and communication skills. Student mentors maintain weekly contact with mentees and model cross-cultural communication, cooperation, understanding and interaction.
- Learn more and apply to become a student minority peer mentor.
- Learn more about becoming a student mentee.
- Participant Requirement Agreement form
- B.A., University of Wisconsin – Whitewater, Sociology – Race & Ethnic Cultures
- M.S., Marian University, Master of Science Organizational Leadership & Quality
Diversity enriches the educational experience. We learn from those whose experiences, beliefs, and perspectives are different from our own, and these lessons can be taught best in a richly diverse intellectual and social environment.