The Learning Place
In the Learning Place, located in the upper level of the Business Building (B-176), students can review and improve the skills essential for academic success.
Instructors provide assistance in the areas of reading, writing, math, computers, science and English as a Second Language (ESL). Assistance and courses in general skill building are offered as well as academic support for specific courses. Students with special accommodations and those needing assistive technology are also served in the Learning Place. In addition, peer tutoring is coordinated through the Learning Place.
The Learning Place is divided into specialized lab areas.
- Academic Support Lab
- Computer Lab
- English as a Second Language Lab
- Math Lab
- Science Lab
- Reading Lab
- Writing Lab
- Peer Tutoring
The Learning Place provides students with opportunities to prepare for tests and assessments.
COMPASS Placement Test
- The COMPASS is an individualized, untimed, computer-based test developed by ACT that helps evaluate an incoming student’s proficiency in the areas of reading, writing and mathematics. Scores indicate students’ strengths and weaknesses, and the test results are used to determine the best choices for academic planning and course selection.
- Students placed in learning lab courses based on COMPASS scores do not earn academic credit toward degree completion. Lab courses are developmental and help build basic skills needed for success in program courses.
- To review basic skills before taking the COMPASS placement test, visit the Learning Place. Call 262.691.7837 for more information.
- When you are ready to take the COMPASS sign up for a testing session online, or call the Assessment Center (C-022) at 262.695.6215.
ACT Exam Preparation
- The Study Skills/ACT Exam Preparation course is geared toward high school students preparing for the ACT college entrance exam.
- For more information, call 262.691.5318.
- Individuals preparing to take apprenticeship exams (carpenters, electricians, fire hose fitters, painters, plumbers, sheet metal workers, sprinkler fitters and steam fitters) are encouraged to use the services of the Learning Place.
- Students who need to review prior to an Accuplacer retest can also benefit from the Learning Place resources.
- Diagnostic tests in reading, writing and math are available; two hours are needed to complete overall testing.
- Call 262.691.7837 for more information.
- The Learning Place proctors exams for students.
- Call 262.691.7837 for more information regarding online and program exam proctoring.