Add, Drop or Withdraw From Classes
It is the student's responsibility to drop or withdraw from a course for personal or academic reasons. A grade will be issued to students who fail to drop or withdraw from a course. Check the college calendar for dates.
The difference between the types of drops and withdrawals is outlined below.
- Student drop -- A student may drop a course during the refund period. A drop does not appear on an academic transcript.
- Instructor drop -- An instructor will drop a student for non-attendance at the first class, or within the first weeks of class. A drop does not appear on an academic transcript.
- Student withdrawal (W) -- After the refund period, a student may withdraw from a course up to 80 percent of the course duration. A withdrawal (W) will appear on the academic transcript. The "W" grade is not included in a GPA and is not counted in credits earned toward graduation. Students who withdraw after the refund period are fully responsible for tuition and fees. Instructors will not initiate a student request withdrawal.
- Instructor withdrawal (W) -- An instructor may withdraw a student, up to 80 percent of course duration, for violation of course policy. An instructor will assign a "W" on the roster. After 80 percent of course duration, a letter grade other than "W" is assigned.
- Administrative withdrawal --WCTC reserves the right to withdraw a student from a course for policy violations or extenuating circumstances.
Timelines to Add, Drop or Withdraw From a Class
To add a class:
|Class Start||Mode of Registration||Approval Required|
|One day prior to class start date||Web, in-person, operator-assisted||None|
|Up to start time of class||In-person, operator-assisted||None|
|After start time of class||In-person||Associate dean|
To drop a class:
|Class Start||Mode of Dropping|
|Prior to start of semester||Web, in-person, operator-assisted|
|Prior to start date of class||In-person, operator-assisted|
|Start date of class||In-person, operator-assisted, online drop form|
|Prior to 80 percent completion of the course||In-person, operator-assisted, online drop form|
|After 80 percent completion of the course||Student will receive a letter grade|
WCTC reserves the right to deny access to specific classes including Basic Skills courses (refer to the college catalog).