Veterans Assistance at WCTC
WCTC is proud to serve veterans from all branches of the military and provide them with the support, resources and comprehensive education they need for a rewarding career in their chosen field. The College is approved on the state and federal levels to provide training to veterans, active service members, survivors and dependents of a deceased or disabled veteran. For more information on the many benefits available, visit the new Armed Forces Service Center, located in room C-016 in the main College Center. Sue Schroeder is the WCTC school certifying official and can assist with the benefits application processes. Additionally, you may contact the local Waukesha County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO).
Members of the military have many benefits available to them. As a guideline to get started, begin with the steps below.
- Set up an initial appointment to learn more about benefits, enrollment processes and transfer credit with a WCTC veterans specialist by calling 262.691.5431. Be sure to reference the VA Benefits Checklist.
- Bring military documents to the initial meeting. To apply for benefits, veterans must first be fully accepted to the College and into a program of study. The veterans' specialist can provide a list of approved documents. (e.g., certificate of eligibility, DD-214s, DD-2384 NOBE, Wisconsin driver’s license with veteran indicator, current orders, letter from the CVSO). Dependents may require other documentation. Additionally, veterans must also provide official transcripts from all colleges attended; these must be forwarded to the Admissions office.
- Upon enrolling in classes, students must fill out the enrollment certification form.
- All veteran students must supply WCTC with their military transcripts.
- Check into filling out the Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA).
Military Financial Assistance and Benefits
Any active or retired military member who served in regular service, Selected Reserves or the National Guard, along with their dependents, may be eligible for some form of financial assistance through the federal GI Bill, Wisconsin state-sponsored tuition grants or tuition remission. Check out this comprehensive list of these military educational financial benefits.
In addition to federal VA benefits, WCTC veteran students may be eligible for additional federal and state financial aid – open to military and non-military students.
Armed Forces Student Center
In January 2016, WCTC opened the Armed Forces Student Center, a dedicated space designed to assist active military, veterans and their family members with the transition from college to career. The center is designed to meeting the needs, understanding the concerns and providing support to these students. The center is located in the main College Center, room C-019. Resource Room staffed on a rotating basis by community and campus resources.
The new center is an access point for a number of resources.
- Veterans specialists to assist with educational benefits
- Lounge and quiet study area
- Resource room staffed on a rotating basis by experts in advising, counseling, employment, accessibility and military benefits
- Student support services
- Student Veterans of America (SVA) student organization
Priority Registration for Veterans and Service Members
In compliance with Wisconsin Act 56, Assembly Bill 201, WCTC proudly offers eligible veterans and members of the armed forces the opportunity to receive priority course registration. This allows eligible military students to register one day prior to general web registration.
Veteran Student Deployment Policy
WCTC will provide a 100 percent refund of all tuition and fees to students who are ordered or inducted into active service in the U.S. armed forces or who are requested to work for the federal government during a time of national emergency or limited national emergency.