Paying for College

Financial Aid: Helping Students to Pay for Their Education

In recent years, more than 60 percent of college students in the United States received some form of financial aid to help offset college-related expenses like tuition and fees, books and supplies. Numerous forms of financial aid are available to students; some are need based while others are merit based.

The most common sources include:

  • Loans - Money that has to be paid back with interest.
  • Grants - Money that does not need to be repaid.
  • Student Employment/Work-study - Money earned through a job.
  • Scholarships - Money that does not need to be repaid.
  • Veterans Benefits - Money provided to military service members and their families.

View the types of Financial Aid available at WCTC.

WCTC's Financial Aid office is available to help students obtain financial aid so they can focus on their studies without the worry of how they will pay for school.

The links below will provide insight into the different forms of financial aid, guide you through the process of applying for student aid, and provide resources and answers to financial aid-related questions.

FAFSA Fridays

Need help filling out your 2015-16 Financial Aid Application?  FAFSA Fridays are designed to help current and prospective WCTC program students with Financial Aid, Scholarship and Admissions forms. Information about Federal and State Grants, Student Employment, Scholarships and Loans is also available.

Bring your 2014 Income Tax Return (1040) to FAFSA Fridays. Students under 24 years of age must also bring their parent’s income information. Register now.

Apply for Financial Aid

  1. Complete the FAFSA

    • The first step to apply for Federal and State grants and loans is to use the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). File online
    • When filing, you will need to list WCTC's school code: 005294. You can start filing the FAFSA beginning Jan. 1 of the year you plan on enrolling.
    • We encourage you to have your FAFSA processed by our priority deadline of April 1 for maximum grant opportunities.
    • The FAFSA requires income and asset information from the student and both parents if they are married and the student is under 24 years of age. ED will use this information to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Within a few days, ED will process your FAFSA and send a message to your e-mail address. You should thoroughly review this message to ensure all information is correct.
    • Remember to file the 2015-16 FAFSA when you complete your 2014 Income Tax Return. April 1 is the priority date to submit the FAFSA. More than 1,000 WCTC students do not receive up to $1,200 in Wisconsin Higher Education Grants every year because they apply for Financial Aid after April 1.
  2. Apply for Admission

    In order to be considered for financial aid, you must be accepted for admission to an eligible program and be registered for classes that are required for the program you are currently admitted to. Check to make sure the program you are enrolled in is eligible for aid.
  3. Complete Verification (if selected)

  4. Track your Financial Aid Status

    Once you have completed the FAFSA, WCTC will determine your eligibility for Federal and State grants and loans. If additional documentation is required, then a posting will be set on your My WCTC (OIS) Account and a letter will be mailed to you.
  5. Respond to Your Award Offer

    An award notice will be sent to your WCTC email address letting you know that you may view your financial aid award on your MY WCTC (OIS) Account and that you may accept any loans that were offered.
  6. View Financial Aid Awards and Accept Student Loans

    Financial aid award notices will be sent to your WCTC email address, along with a link to your OIS account to view your award. Paper award notices are no longer mailed.

    To check the status of your financial aid and to view your award:

    • Select "Student and Financial Aid."
    • Then select "Financial Aid."
    • Then select "My Overall Status of Financial Aid."

    If you've completed the Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) as a WCTC student, use your OIS account to accept, decline or reduce your Direct Loan:

    • Start with "My Overall Status of Financial Aid."
    • Then select "You have been Awarded."
    • Then select "Accept Award Offer" to review your loan options.

    Direct Loan Disbursement and Direct Deposit

    Direct Loans generally arrive the week before each semester so you can pay your tuition bill. Any remaining loan funds are mailed or directly deposited to your bank account. First-time users should log in to their OIS accounts through "My Account" to set up direct deposit. Select "Student & Financial Aid" then "Student Account Center." On the new web page, select "Refunds," then "Payment Profile," to enter or update bank account and routing numbers.

    Electronic Book Vouchers for Pell Grant Recipients

    Pell Grant recipients may use their WCTC IDs or myCard to purchase textbooks in the WCTC Bookstore. Visit the Library in Room C-220 to obtain the myCard and gain access to financial aid funds for textbook purchases. Financial aid will pay your WCTC Bookstore bill and unpaid tuition. Any remaining funds will be mailed or directly deposited into your bank account.

  7. Apply for Scholarships

    The WCTC Foundation is a tremendous resource to obtain scholarships to help pay for tuition and books. The application for the fall semester is June 1; for spring, Nov. 1. Use the WCTC portal to access the online WCTC Foundation scholarship application. Learn more about scholarships.

Financial Aid Eligibility

The following criteria are necessary to qualify for most federal and state financial aid programs. You must:

  • Be admitted into an associate degree or technical diploma program.
  • Be registered for at least six credits per semester. Pell Grants may be available to high-need students enrolled less than half time, contingent on federal funding.
  • Be registered for classes that are required for the degree you are currently admitted to.
  • Be a United States citizen, national or permanent resident of the United States.
  • Maintain academic progress toward completion of your degree or diploma. This status is evaluated every semester.
  • Not be in default on a student loan.
  • Not owe a repayment on any federal grant or loan.
  • Be registered with the Selective Service, if you are a male. Register online.
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate.

Non-Eligible Programs/Courses