Credit for Prior Learning
WCTC students may be eligible for Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) through transfer credit from previous colleges; educational, work, military, or other experiences; credit by exam (AP, CLEP, etc.); and credit from high school courses.
Transfer Credits to WCTC:
- Contact each institution you have previously attended and request that official transcripts be sent directly to the WCTC Office of Admissions.
- Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy Veterans should request a Joint Services Transcript.
- Air Force Veterans should request a transcript from Community College of the Air Force.
- University/college coursework completed outside the United States must be submitted to an educational credentialing agency for an official evaluation of earned foreign credentials. Only course-by-course evaluation reports will be accepted. Educational Credential Evaluators is an example of one such agency. A placement assessment must be completed, with minimum scores met, before transfer of credit will be considered.
- If you have not already done so, begin the process of applying for admission to one of WCTC’s programs.
- Allow approximately 1-3 weeks after receipt for review of your transcripts. You will be notified by email after transcripts have been evaluated.
- Only courses with a grade of "C" (2.0/4.0 scale) or better will be reviewed for transfer credit. For required science courses for Nursing, grade requirements may be higher.
- If you wish to appeal your transfer evaluation, you must submit a written appeal with any supporting materials to the respective Associate Dean within 30 days of the initial evaluation.
Prior Learning Assessment
Save time, save money, and earn credit for what you already know through prior learning assessments (PLA). Work, military, and life experiences are common ways that students develop the knowledge and skills that are taught in college courses. Demonstrate those skills by completing a challenge exam, skills demonstration or portfolio evaluation. If you meet the course requirements then you receive college credit. (Assessment requirements differ for Early Childhood Education program students; learn more.)
- Submit the PLA inquiry form.
- Complete the PLA consultation.
- Pay the assessment fee.
- Complete the assessment.
PLA Inquiry Form
Fee amounts are based on the assessment method(s), are charged per course, and are non-refundable. If two methods are required for one course assessment then only the higher fee is charged:
Challenge Exam - $50
Skills Demonstration - $90
Portfolio - $90
Credit awarded through the PLA process may not transfer to other colleges/universities. Please consult with the transfer institution to confirm transferability.
How do I arrange accommodations for my Prior Learning Assessment?
For More Information
Credit for Prior Learning Coordinator
800 W. Main Street, Pewaukee, WI 53072
P: 262.695.3469 | F: 262.691.5123
Credit by Exam
Credit may be earned by achieving satisfactory scores on a nationally recognized exam. Official exam scores must be sent to WCTC for evaluation. WCTC’s Testing Center offers both the CLEP and DSST.
- AP - Advanced Placement
- CLEP - College Level Examination Program
- DSST - formerly DANTES Subject Standardized Tests
- IB - International Baccalaureate
- Advanced Standing
- To receive college credit, there must be an existing Advanced Standing agreement between WCTC and the high school. Review the list of state-approved Advanced Standing courses on the Wisconsin Technical College System web site.
- A student must receive a grade of B or better prior to the awarding of credit.
- Transcripted Credit
- Transcripted credit agreements allow high school students to take WCTC courses at their high school and earn both WCTC transcripted credit and high school credit. Review the list of state-approved Transcripted Credit courses on the Wisconsin Technical College System web site.
- The credit earned is applied to the student’s academic record and can be used toward a WCTC program and could be evaluated for transfer by a four-year college or university.
- A student enrolled in a WCTC high school transcripted credit course is eligible to request a waiver of the WCTC admissions fee. Refunds will not be given to eligible applicants who have already paid the fee.
- Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams
- Official scores must be sent to WCTC for evaluation. Review the pre-approved Credit by Exam minimum scores and courses list.
Standards for awarding Credit for Prior Learning:
- A maximum of 75 percent of the major subject area credits and 75 percent of the total credits required for the program may be awarded through Credit for Prior Learning.*
- Grades received through Credit for Prior Learning will not be computed in the grade point average.*
- If you receive Credit for Prior Learning, you are exempt from taking the approved courses. Approved transfer of credit can be viewed at "myWCTC" under the "Academic Profile” tab.
*Does not apply to Transcripted Credit.