The counseling staff is a team of compassionate professionals dedicated to assisting students in accomplishing their educational goals. Counseling at WCTC is typically short-term in duration, and referrals can be made to appropriate community resources for long-term care.
Counselors will help you clarify concerns, set goals, gain insight into yourself and others, learn effective coping skills and resolve personal/educational barriers.
- Services are free and confidential.
- Appointments are recommended.
- Walk-ins will be accommodated when possible.
All counselors have state certification and possess master's-level and doctoral degrees. They are qualified to handle a variety of situations:
- Personal Counseling
- Crisis Counseling
- Critical Life Skills
- Career Counseling
- Academic Counseling
- Emergency Financial Assistance
List of Counselors
WCTC counselors work with students in specific program areas:
- Accounting: Amy Machgan
- Administrative Professional: Amy Machgan
- Apprenticeships: Jasmin Weathers
- Architectural Drafting/Construction Technology: Jasmin Weathers
- Auto Collision Repair & Refinishing Technician.: Jasmin Weathers
- Automation Systems Technology: Jasmin Weathers
- Automotive Technology (GM ASEP): Jasmin Weathers
- Automotive Technology (General): Jasmin Weathers
- Baking and Pastry Management Pat Hassan
- Baking and Pastry Production Pat Hassan
- Biomedical Electronics Technology: Jasmin Weathers
- Building Trades-Carpentry: Jasmin Weathers
- Business Management: Amy Machgan
- Central Service Technician: Lori Feuerstein
- CNC Technician: Jasmin Weathers
- Cosmetology: Pat Hassan
- Criminal Justice Studies: Jasmin Weathers
- Culinary Management: Pat Hassan
- Dental Assistant: Lori Feuerstein
- Dental Hygienist: Lori Feuerstein
- Early Childhood Education: Pat Hassan
- Electrical Engineering Technology: Jasmin Weathers
- Electronics Technology: Jasmin Weathers
- EMS Leadership and Management: Amy Machgan
- EMT - Basic: Amy Machgan
- EMT - Intermediate Technician: Amy Machgan
- EMT Paramedic Technician: Amy Machgan
- Facilities Maintenance Technician: Jasmin Weathers
- Fire Medic: Amy Machgan
- Fire Protection Technician: Amy Machgan
- Food Service Production: Pat Hassan
- Foundations of Teacher Education: Pat Hassan
- Global Business Specialist: Amy Machgan
- Graphic Design: Pat Hassan
- Health Information Technology: Lori Feuerstein
- Health Unit Coordinator: Lori Feuerstein
- Hospitality Management: Pat Hassan
- Hospitality Specialist: Pat Hassan
- Human Resources: Amy Machgan
- Human Services Associate: Pat Hassan
- IT - Computer Support Specialist: Pat Hassan
- IT - Network Specialist: Pat Hassan
- IT - Web & Software Developer: Pat Hassan
- Industrial Maintenance Technician: Jasmin Weathers
- Interior Design: Pat Hassan
- Language Interpreter - Health Services: Lori Feuerstein
- Machine Tool Operation: Jasmin Weathers
- Marketing: Amy Machgan
- Mechanical Design: Jasmin Weathers
- Mechanical Engineering Technology: Jasmin Weathers
- Medical Assistant: Lori Feuerstein
- Medical Coding: Lori Feuerstein
- Metal Fabrication/Welding: Jasmin Weathers
- Nursing Assistant: Pablo Navarro
- Nursing-Associate Degree: Pablo Navarro
- Nursing-Associate Degree-Prog.: Pablo Navarro
- Office Technology Assistant: Amy Machgan
- Pharmacy Technician: Lori Feuerstein
- Phlebotomy Technician: Lori Feuerstein
- Physical Therapy Assistant: Lori Feuerstein
- Practical Nursing: Pablo Navarro
- Print and Publishing: Pat Hassan
- Printing: Pat Hassan
- Quality Management: Amy Machgan
- Radiography: Lori Feuerstein
- Real Estate: Amy Machgan
- Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heating Service Technician: Jasmin Weathers
- Supervisory Management: Amy Machgan
- Surgical Technology: Lori Feuerstein
- Technical Studies-Journeyworker: Jasmin Weathers
- Tool and Die: Jasmin Weathers
- Truck Driving: Jasmin Weathers
- Web & Digital Media Design: Pat Hassan
- Welding Technician: Jasmin Weathers
Concerns about personal issues can interfere with students' academic success. WCTC counselors can provide personal counseling and be a referral source of community resources for issues such as:
- Acceptance (feeling uncomfortable due to age, disability, ethnicity, gender, religion, etc.)
- Alcohol, drug or other addictions
- Anger management
- Coping with feelings
- Cultural/diversity issues
- Eating disorders
- Family and relationship issues
- Financial issues
- Job loss
- Mental health
- Returning to school as an adult
- Self esteem
- Stress and anxiety
- Suicide concerns
- Time management
If a student is experiencing a crisis – a severe psychological or emotional emergency - counselors can provide intervention, assessment, education, guidance and support.
Those in crisis who need immediate assistance and would like to be seen by an on-call counselor should:
- Walk into the Counseling/Advising Center (College Center, C021).
- Call 262.691.5400.
- After hours, call 211 First Call for Help or 262.547.3388.
- Call 911, for medical, life-threatening situations.
WCTC recognizes the importance of continually developing individual students through the Critical Life Skills integrated into all campus activities including coursework and service areas.
Counselors offer free workshops that cover many of these skills, and all participants receive a Critical Life Skills Certificate of Completion. A listing of workshops is in the column to the right.
Should students' academic and career interests change and their program or career situation no longer meet their needs, they may need help choosing a career that aligns with their interests, skills, values and life circumstances.
A counselor may assist students by:
- Providing information on WCTC Career Center Services.
- Reviewing the results of career assessments.
- Accessing career decision-making resources and strategies.
- Exploring learning options to reach career goals.
WCTC counselors are involved in retention activities to identify and help students who are in danger of poor academic progress. Academic performance issues may be related to:
- Low motivation
- Time management
- Academic performance
- Self confidence
- Problem solving
- Goal setting and achieving goals
WCTC counselors will develop a Student Success Plan for those who have received an academic warning or probation hold, an Early Alert referral or notification of financial aid problem.